- How to Enjoy
- TASC Shipping & Returns
- Remarkable Humans Promise | Australian Made Products
Old Man Saltbush may look like common shrubbery, but saltbush is actually one of Australia’s most versatile and delicious native herbs. It’s salty, herby flavour makes it the perfect partner for all kinds of savoury foods. Naturally occurring across all parts of mainland Australia, Old Man Saltbush is rich in protein, antioxidants and minerals, with 20 per cent less sodium than salt.
Drought and flood resistant, the hardy plant has also been identified by the United Nations Carbon Emission Trading Scheme to assist with the reduction of greenhouse warming.
- 100% natural
- No preservatives, artificial colours, sweeteners or flavours
- Gluten free, dairy free and no added sugar
- Product of Australia
- A gentle, salty flavour with earthy undertones and subtle notes of green tea
- 20 gm
- 80 gm
- 250 gm
- 500 gm
- 1 kg
- 10 kg
- 24 months from date of packing
- Store in cool, dry place
- The subtle, salty taste of Old Man Saltbush makes it the perfect substitute for seasoning most savoury dishes and some sweet ones too.
- Add depth and flavour to fish, meat and vegetable dishes.
- It is perfect used in baked dishes, such as pastries, bread, damper, crackers and savoury condiments, such as relish, chutney, sauces, salad dressings, dips, marinades and spice rubs, to add extra depth and a herbaceous flavour.
- Saltbush pairs perfectly with eggs and egg-based dishes, like omelette, soufflé, quiche, and frittata, as well as mayonnaise and aioli.
- Saltbush is great combined with other herbs and spices and used as a coating for meat and seafood; add it just before cooking.
Pair with chocolate and fruit to create unique desserts, like chocolate saltbush ice cream, mango saltbush sorbet and saltbush caramel cheesecake.
OLD MAN SALTBUSH ROAST LAMB SPICE RUB
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 50-60 minutes
- Makes: approximately 1/2 cup of marinade
Old Man Saltbush may look like common shrubbery, but saltbush is actually one of Australia’s most versatile and delicious native herbs. It’s salty, herby flavour makes it the perfect partner for all kinds of savoury foods, but none better than a boneless leg of lamb. It adds another level of flavour to everyday meat marinates and this spice rub is simple proof of just how delicious it is. If you’re in a hurry, your meat can be ready to roast in as little as an hour. But for the ultimate flavour sensation, allow the spice rub to marinade into the meat overnight.
- 1kg boneless lamb leg
- 1 1/2 tbsp Old ManSaltbush
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano
- 4 garlic cloves
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 small bayleaf
- 1 dried long chilli
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus a little extra for roasting
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Place Old Man Saltbush, oregano, garlic cloves, grated lemon rind, bay leaf, chill, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and sea salt in a mortar and use the pestle to pound the ingredients, creating a well combined, but rough paste. If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, a food processor is a good alternative.
- Place lamb in a medium-sized tray or bowl and rub the spice marinade all over the Cover with plastic wrap and leave to marinate for at least 1 hour or preferably overnight.
- Remove marinated lamb from the refrigerator an hour before.
- Preheat oven to 180°C and place lamb on a lined baking tray.
- Drizzle with a little extra olive oil and roast in the oven for 50 minutes to an hour.
- Remove lamb from oven and place on a wire rack over roasting.
- Cover loosely with foil and rest for 20 minutes.
- Slice lamb across the grain, sprinkle with a little extra saltbush and serve with a citrusy yoghurt sauce, roast potatoes and your favourite leafy green.
Find more recipes here!
- Saltbush is a rich source of antioxidants, protein and minerals including calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron and potassium.
- Saltbush contains 20% less sodium than table salt.
- The leaves were traditionally used medicinally, and were often added to water as skin cleansers for sores, burns and wounds.
100% Dried Old Man Saltbush Leaf
- FREE Shipping order $100 and over
- Flat Rate $5 for order under $100
- This product will be shipped to you by THE AUSTRALIAN SUPERFOOD CO
- The Fees are set by them and calculated on the combined value of the product/s you order from theTHE AUSTRALIAN SUPERFOOD CO range.
- Your Total Shipping Fee for this Order (for all brand/s) will be calculated and displayed at Check out.
Refunds & Return Policy
Remarkable Humans Promise – Australian Made Products
Our No.1 selection criteria is that each product is made in Australia. So when you purchase at Remarkable Humans, you can be 100% confident in your choice.
We stand behind every product we sell – as we’ve read every label and spoken to every Vendor to understand how their products are produced.
Our promise to you is that each product is as its declared – it is an Australian Made product – and that promise comes with our Money-Back Guarantee.