How to overcome dry, cracked lips this winter and whenever you need some TLC.
Step 1: Prep your lips with a lip scrub
Step 2: Moisturise your lips with lip balm
Step 3: Colour your lips with lipstick
I’ve always been fascinated by the impact beautiful lips can have on your self-esteem. Don’t know about you, but I’m one of those girls who can’t leave the house (or do a zoom conference) without applying a bit of balm or lipstick, I just feel naked without it. Yet with it, I can take on the world with confidence.
Some days however, my lips feel a bit dull.
If you are wondering “why are my lips dry or cracked?”, the most common reason is dehydration.
Even if you put balm or lipstick on each day, your lips can still become dry without sufficient hydration. Age and general lifestyle choices all contribute to the health of your lips. That's why it’s important to hydrate from both inside and out.
- Monitor your water intake, as this can easily lessen in the cooler months, and you may need a top up after exercise and when in dry environments.
- Check your skincare products, as harsh products can leave you with dry lips.
- Be aware that dramatic temperature changes, such as moving from indoor heating to outside chill can also play a part. As does going from icy air conditioning to outdoor heat in warmer months.
We need to think moisture, moisture, moisture!
Regular daily activities like smiling and eating draws attention to your lips. And, lips are the first place people look when you engage in conversation.
Maintaining youthful lips should be part of your daily ritual, and any signs of dry lips should be remedied as soon as possible.
Once you’ve considered the lifestyle elements mentioned above, it's time to get started. Read on for the ultimate guide in beautiful, soft, hydrated, healthy-looking lips – in 3 easy steps.
Step 1: Prep Your Lips
How Do You Prep Your Lips?
Prep your lips with a lip scrub. This first step to beautiful lips gently exfoliates and removes any dry and flaky skin.
- Start with clean make-up free lips.
- Gently rub a pinch of lip scrub in a circular motion to gently scrub away dead skin.
- Rinse with warm, not hot, water and pat dry with a fresh towel.
- Ideally, exfoliate your lips one to two times a week as a standard part of your beauty routine. This is especially important in the harsh winter months, to avoid chapped lips.
Step 2: Moisturise Your Lips
How Do You Moisturise Your Lips?
Next, add topical hydration to ensure your lips remain soft, supple, and as moist as possible.
Moisturise your lips with a lip balm or gloss, preferably one that is packed with natural ingredients, nutritious butters, oils, and waxes.
- In the morning, apply lip balm after you have moisturised your face, and let it do its magic while you finish the rest of your make-up.
- In the evening, after cleansing, apply before jumping into bed, then let the hydration go to work overnight.
- Apply as needed throughout the day.
Step 3: Add Colour To Your Lips
Why Add Colour To Your Lips?
This last step can instantly turn your whole day around.
Adding a splash of colour is for impact and for fun. Plus, lipstick acts as a protector to seal in that moisture.
- Start with a lip liner if you want further lip definition.
- Or just apply some lipstick to your smooth, hydrated lips.
More About Lip Scrubs
Why Use A Lip Scrub
Lip scrub is an essential step if you aspire to having soft, smooth lips, as using a lip scrub helps banish dryness. Dry lips are prone to cracking and peeling, which we definitely don't want.
We spoke to Debra Eyles, co-founder at Malle Scrub, a Blue Mountains based skincare company that specialise in creating natural beauty products . Deb believes,
Lip scrubs are a fun and easy way to eliminate some of that flaking, dry skin that builds up and will immediately restore shine, softness, and smoothness.
Removing dead skin cells is important to. So, buff and polish away, and improve the overall texture of your lips.
- Keep your lips looking fresh, soft and smooth.
- Create the perfect canvas for lips to absorb the nourishment from other products.
- Between exfoliating treatments apply lip balm or a moisture rich lip gloss regularly to keep your kisser supple.
Later, when you apply lipstick, you'll be happy you avoided dry skin on your lips, as your lipstick will stay on longer!
How to Choose a Lip Scrub
Your lips want gentle, natural ingredients that are not harsh or damaging to this delicate skin.
Look for lip scrubs with natural exfoliants and natural conditioners that will improve the appearance of your lips.
- Cane sugar is a natural exfoliant and a natural source of Glycolic acid, a type of alpha-hydroxy acid (or AHA), which is known to improve overall skin texture by exfoliating off dead skin.
- Coconut Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, and Beeswax are examples of natural emollients that will smooth, soften and hydrate
Watermelon Lip Scrub, $11.90
Mallee Scrub's watermelon sugar explosion gently exfoliates and hydrates chapped lips, leaving your lips smooth, soft, and fully plumped up.
Bonus Feature We Love – The ingredients in this scrubs are good enough to eat, so don't hesitate to lick your lips to remove the excess sugar granules when finished.
More About Lip Balms
Why Use a Lip Balm?
As you can see, your lips want gentle, natural ingredients that will condition and soften.
By using a lip balm after the scrub, you are layering up the goodness and hydration.
The moisturising oils and butters found in natural and organic lip balms penetrate deep into the skin cells. We recommend looking for natural lip balms, that will penetrate and heal the skin—not simply coat the skin's surface.
How to Choose a Lip Balm – Australian Made Lip Balm Finder
At first glance choosing a lip balm may appear simple. But they come in a surprising array of different styles and varieties.
- Squeezable tubes, pots, or a lipstick case
- Fluid or solid
- Scented, flavoured or natural
To help you choose, we’ve compiled some of our favourite lip balms.
Gumbi Gumbi Lip Balm, $18.00
Australian made Rohr Remedy’s hydrating lip balm is great for very dry lips.
The antibacterial and antiviral properties of Gumbi Gumbi, in traditional use by Indigenous Australians, helps prevent colds and flu, aids repair of cracked lips.
This protective balm combines the classic apothecary formula of castor oil, lanolin and Vitamin E with Saponin-rich Gumbi Gumbi.
- Squeezable tube, fluid balm
- Natural ingredients
- Not Tested on Animals
Moisturising Lip Balm, $9.95
Australian made Wild Bee Moisturising Lip Balm will soothe, moisture and protect your lips from the drying effects of the sun and wind. Full of anti-ageing goodness – 100% Australian Manuka Honey, 100% Australian Propolis, 100% Australian Beeswax and Vitamin E
- Squeezable tube, fluid balm
- Light honey scent
- 99.3% Natural Ingredients
- Not Tested on Animals
Lime Lip Balm (new), $18.00
Australian made Mallee Scrub Lip Balm instantly conditions and hydrates.
This potent natural lip treatment has a hint of lime and provides long lasting nourishment for a supple plump looking pout all day, with no sticky residue.
- Pot, solid balm
- Available in 3 great scents – Lime, Watermelon, Bare
- 100% Natural Ingredients
- Tip: Also great for cuticles and dry elbows
Don’t stop at one, keep a selection of Australian made beauty balms at your desk, in your handbag and generally on hand for easy top ups.
More About Lipsticks
What Are The Benefits Of Using Lipstick?
Wearing lipstick is a great way to draw attention to your lips and make them stand out. Women have always loved and worn lipstick to make themselves more noticeable.
Now you know how to care for and keep your lips in tip-top healthy conditions, it’s time to show them off.
- Improve your mood and confidence.
- Brighten your smile.
- Enhance your eyes.
- Define your lips.
- Protect and heal from the elements by forming a protective barrier.
How to Choose a Lipstick
First, check the ingredients. Incredibly we can eat 400 lipsticks is a lifetime! Choosing a product with high levels of natural ingredients is a great idea.
Next, select a colour that will best suit your skin tone, hair and your outfit.
Our favourites lippies are from Australian made Lük Beautifood. They are made from food and feed your lips with nutrients, protective antioxidants, omega 3+6 essential fatty acids and anti-inflammatories from avocado oil & cacao butter whilst providing lasting hydration & protection for a beautiful, natural look.
Their colour selection is broad and has something for every skin tone. Plus, they taste delicious due to the natural ingredients like cherry, citrus, cinnamon and vanilla.
Guava Blush, $30.00Lük Beautifood Guava Blush Lip Nourish. Soft pink. Tastes of florals and citrus. Consider it your go-to daily lip luxury.
Cherry Plum, $30.00
Lük Beautifood Cherry Plum Lip Nourish. Rich cerise red. Fabulous winter or evening shade. Tastes of cherry and grapefruit – Beautiful buildable coverage.
Lip Products Make Great Gifts
If you’re looking for a guaranteed "she'll love it" gift, grab a few of our lip products today. You'll not only wow the gift recipient, you'll also be helping Remarkable Humans make a difference to the lives and livelihoods of Aussies around the country, by supporting an Australian made beauty products business.